Team Kiwi

The official blog of the New Zealand Olympic Knitting team.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Hi all!

This is Lhizz, aka octopusgrrl, and I'm getting excited about starting the Knitting Olympics next weekend (eeep!) I've chosen to challenge myself by starting my first pair of socks, which will probably be these Roman Rib socks from Utiku Merino 4ply baby yarn in Bottle - my yarn arrived yesterday and it looks like it's going to be gorgeously soft to work with. I'm planning to knit up a swatch of it this weekend for gauge.

I used to knit a lot when I was in my mid-to-late teens but got bitten by the crochet bug and didn't pick up needles again until the middle of last year. Now I swap between crochet and knitting projects, but I'm much more enthusiastic about knitting at the moment. It's a learning curve for me: with crochet I usually freeform when creating something new, but knitting is much more reliant on pattern instructions, so I've been training myself to concentrate in that way, and I'm also thinking more about what suits which type of yarn, how the finished fabric will sit or fall, etc. I feel like 2006 is going to be a very ambitious year for me, craftwise.

Now I need to go finish some more outstanding projects that I need to complete before the Opening Ceremony!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home